Mrs.Wilhelmus
AP Language
7 August 2013
Philosopher's View on Women
As a female, I think Aristotle's view on women is ridiculous. Most women should think the same. The fact that he thinks women are incomplete as human beings and the only reason they exist is to bear a man's child is preposterous. The incomplete part is almost infuriating to me. I understand that this was in times when women were not equals, but men could still support women as humans. At least Plato's opinion wasn't so offensive. I would think that any woman with a bit of self confidence would be angered by his views. Women should be able to anything a man can, or they should at least be given the opportunity to. Also their bodies should be their own, not just used for a man's child or for their pleasure. They shouldn't be forced to have a child with these men who think that women are inferior. Aristotle's view on women is one of my least favorite parts in this book.
I think my favorite philosopher's opinion on women was definitely Plato. He thought they were equal with men, that they could be government leaders, and their only use was not child-bearing. He even said that child-bearing was so important it should be handled by the state, not the individual. I think this is very empowering for the time he lived in. He also thought that women had the same brain power and capacity as men. i really appreciate Plato, because he probably influenced some other philosopher's to think the same. His words could still be influencing the people in the women's rights communities today. His opinion is one that I completely agree with.
I feel indifferent about how most of the philosopher's in the book are men. Keep in mind that some didn't even have many of their works written down or recorded, let alone have them last years for others to find them. Most of these philosopher's also come from a time when women were not taught to read and write. Therefore even if there were women philosopher's they could not have written down their works. That part does not bother, when you think about the above evidence of why they aren't in the book. Maybe the author included mostly males because he enjoyed their pieces more and thought it fit better. I'm not bothered by the fact that the philosopher's are mostly male.
No comments:
Post a Comment