Mrs.Wilhelmus
AP Language
8 August 2013
The Rabbit's Fur: The Fifth Post
The philosophy I enjoyed the most was Romanticism. It reminded me greatly of the transcendentalism we were taught about sophomore year. It highly stressed being one with nature would make you one with yourself. Also that art can express more than what a philosopher can tell you. It also said that bringing you closer to nature can also bring you enlightenment. I think I like this chapter so much, just because of the artsy side of it. I do believe than most forms of art can express true feelings and ideas more than words can. That is exactly the type of thing that this type of Romanticism teaches. My favorite part of this chapter/philosophy is when they said that everyone holds the entirety of the universe inside of them. It's just a matter of recognizes it.
My least favorite philosophy was Aristotle's, based solely on the fact that he thinks women are incomplete. That opinion of his is completely absurd. Even with the time period he was in. I already went over why this is ridiculous in a different blog post. I also think Aristotle focused too much on why the things in nature were happening. He never stepped back to enjoy them or use them to his advantage, like the romantics did. Nor did he use them to enlighten himself. He was almost like a scientist trying to figure out why nature is how it is. Aristotle was also Plato's student, but didn't take the good ideas/opinions of Plato and add on to them. It seems like he didn't listen much to Plato, he just went about his own work. Which could have been a good thing, if I thought his ideas were correct.
We finally come to the most important question of this project, I presume. Where do I reside on the rabbit's fur? I've thought about the question a lot since I begin reading this. I would love to say that I am at the edge like a true philosopher, but I am not a true philosopher. I think people who are on the very tip of the fur are taking too much time examining life and end up not actually living it, which is the sad part about true philosophers. My answer is that I am somewhere in the middle. I'm not constantly searching for the point of everything, because I am content with not knowing where everything started, I'm just happy I'm here now. I'm also not completely tucked into the fur, because I do search for more knowledge and more opportunities. I don't settle for mediocre answers. The middle is a place that I think I'd like to be. I also believe I have plenty of time to figure out where I truly belong on the rabbit's fur.
No comments:
Post a Comment